HISTORY OF THE CROSS BARN

The Cross Barn at Odiham, built in 1532 and listed Grade II, is the earliest agricultural building built of brick in Hampshire. Originally the manorial barn of Odiham Place, it was latterly one of the principal buildings of Palace Gate Farm, formerly called Place Gate Farm. The Cross Barn, Odiham

This early use of brick (there are only fifteen examples of brick building in Hampshire before 1550) for an agricultural building makes the Cross Barn one of the county´s most notable historic buildings.

Some idea of its importance may be gained from the fact that the roof is typical of the kind being placed over aristocratic houses at that time. and would have been an impressive show-piece. The Cross Barn roof The Cross Barn could only have been built for someone of considerable wealth and status.

In June 2003, this spectacular 16th Century building in the centre of Odiham was taken over from Hart District Council by a Management Committee of local residents for use as a village and community centre, and has since become part of the local hub of village life in Odiham.

The Cross Barn at Odiham closely resembles the larger Great Barn at Old Basing, just five miles away, which was built for Sir William Paulet (later Marquis of Winchester). Perhaps Sir William Paulet had connections with Odiham prior to 1545 when his son, Lord Chideock Paulet, was granted the Office of Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Odiham by Henry VIII. If so, was the Cross Barn a prototype for the Great Barn at Old Basing built three years later?